I have dipped my toes in the waters, and I am beginning to find my feet. The blogosphere is a huge universe and I wondered who else are ‘out there’ blogging on neurology?
I ‘googled’ neurology blogs and came across sites listing neurology-related blogs. One is titled ’50 fascinating brain science blogs’ and another lists ‘most popular neuroscience blogs’. I plough through the lists looking for blogs that will be helpful to a jobbing neurologist. I soon discover however that most of the blogs listed are not actually neurological. Many where neuroscience and psychology, and a lot were completely irrelevant to neurology.
So which are the relevant neurology blogs? Here are my choices:
Core neurology blogs
- The Stroke Blog dissects developments in stroke
- Blogging Stroke is a blog of the journal Stroke
- JNNP blog is a surprise for me and worth following in view of the authority that comes with it.
- Brainblogger has a high rating and covers a diversity of topics; it is written by different contributors and well well worth a visit.
- Neurophilosophy blog in The Guardian is well-written and well-laid out, with good general neurology items.
- Alltop neuroscience blog collates a variety of news and views on neurology-related items.
- Medscape neurology blog is quite interesting
- Neurocritic has some striking images
- Caseblog has a section with interesting views on recent neurology issues.
- Neurology minutiae is unapologetic for its interest in ‘arcane stuff’ but is nevertheless interesting to peruse.
- The Neuro Times has several contributors and talks of trends in the history of neurology and neuroscience
- Lancaster General Hospital neurology blog has a variety of professionals contributing to it although the last entry was dated 2013.
- Neurology update is very educational and seems to target neurology trainees
- Oliver Sachs is interesting but refers to ‘Dr. Sacks’ in the 3rd person! Hmm. I wasn’t convinced there was much there for a jobbing neurologist but nevertheless worth a look in view of the eminence associated with the name
Blogs on the margins of neurology
- Neuropathology blog is quite detailed and covers all aspects of neurological pathology
- Neurologic Labs has a neurophysiology bent
- The Amazing World of Psychiatry does what it says on the label
- Spinal Cord Injury Research and Advocacy came to my attention as a recommendation via a comment on my blog
- Neuroblogg has a very strong basic sciences emphasis
- Kavliblog delves in to neuroscience but also nanoscience and astrophysics
- Neurosurgery Blog
- Neuroicudoc is a blog on neurocritical care with a strong emphasis on stroke
Neurology facts and trivia blogs
- NeuroBollocks claims to ‘debunk pseudoneuroscience
- Brain Watch is a neuroscience blog of Wired. Quite good
- Brain HQ is a large blog with interests beyond neurology and neuroscience
There are several other neurology or neuroscience themed blogs with fascinating names like ‘mindhacks‘, ‘brain windows‘, ‘brain waves‘, and ‘neurodudes‘ but I didn’t think they were relevant to practice or of sufficient general interest to explore.
Want to explore more. This link is to Webicin’s Neurology on the Medical Blogosphere.
Let me however have your thoughts on these or other blogs? Feel free to make recommendations for inclusion or exclusion.